Lawn Tip: Lawn Edging
Why Should I Edge My Lawn?
Benefits of Lawn Edging:
- Gives your lawn a clean manicured appearance while increasing curb appeal
- Adds value to your landscape without spending a lot of money
- Saves trimming time
- Provides a root barrier to prevent invasive lawn grasses from entering flowerbeds
- Complements and contrasts the house and the remainder of your landscape
What Do I Use for Edging My Lawn?
To accomplish this there are three main tools that are used.
Manual Stick Edger:
Very simple tool if you want a work out! This has a long handle with a serrated or smooth wheel at the end. This works well but is quite a bit of work. The faster you run the wheel back & forth the better it edges.
Walk Behind Edger:
This is a motorized device with the blade on one side. Makes a clean edge and has a bevel option for a slanted appearance. One of the easiest ways to ensure you are achieving straight lines when edging.
Motorized Handheld Edger:
This resembles a weed wacker or trimmer and is our preferred way tackling this work. We personally use the “Stihl KM 131 R” and with the “straight lawn edging attachment“. They have a small guide wheel as well as the blade that edges the sod. Looks great, a lot easier to use then the stick edger & less cumbersome than the walk behind. This one needs a bit of practice for a great look & is a bit harder to get straight lines compared to a walk behind edger. With some practice, the results are great, keeping a nice sharp edge along the perimeter of your lawn.
* Base rate pricing applies to Anchorage lawns up to approx. 5,000 sq. We will call you before any work is started if your lawn will exceed our base rate.